Welcome to The VA Handbook!
There’s a lot of information on becoming a Virtual Assistant out there and I bet your head is totally spinning by the time you read this. I also bet:
- You’re wondering what being a VA involves and whether it’s for you
- You’re not sure how it all works and how to get clients
- You just want to know where to start and what to do first
- You’re worried you might mess it up and end up living penniless in a ditch
- You’ve researched it to death and now you either need a lie-down or some gin
- You’re probably over-thinking the whole thing
But don’t worry. Your search is over. You’ve found my site and everything is going to be ok.
Everything you need is here.
I cover everything including how to set up your Virtual Assistant business, advice on how to work better once you’re established, tutorials so you can pick up new skills and expand your niche, and further resources to help you become the most talented, sought after VA on the block.
And, the good news is that you can still have the gin if you like.
This site is for you if:
- You don’t like following rules or the herd
- You zig when everyone else zags
- You’re new skool not old skool
- You know there’s more to life and you don’t want to sheepwalk through it
- You want to create your own future and not have it dictated to you
What to do now
1. Read some blog posts
There’s a lot of information on my site and I want it to be really easy for you to find what you need. The best way to do this is to use the category section or search box in the sidebar, or simply look at the complete list of my blog posts below then click on the article you want to read.
2. Check out my downloads and training page
You may just be starting out or you may have been in business for a while, but I have a ton of guides, downloads, docs and courses that will help you set up and run a bulletproof Virtual Assistant business. View them here. Oh, and I even have a free course on how to set up!
3. Join the group
My VA Handbookers Facebook group is a wonderfully friendly and helpful international community of over 18,000 like-minded people all sharing their freelance journey. Apply to join.
4. Get on my mailing list
I’m not someone who emails you constantly (SO annoying!) but I do send out a monthly “Coffee Break” roundup newsletter with loads of useful info. It takes me days to write and I think it’s pretty good actually (brag).
If you download my Free guide on what tools you need (and don’t need) to set up your VA business, you’ll automatically be added to my list and will receive the newsletter.
The most exciting journey of your life starts right here.
BLOG POST ARCHIVES
– FAQs about becoming a Virtual Assistant.
– Why there has never been a better time to be a VA.
– Why you should become a Virtual Assistant.
– How to become a Virtual Assistant.
– Are you cut out to be a Virtual Assistant?
– Qualities every VA needs to have.
– 15 blunt truths about what it means to be a Virtual Assistant.
– Advice for newbies from experienced VAs.
– 10 things they don’t tell you about working for yourself.
– TEST: 3 example VA tasks for you to try.
– How to work out your Virtual Assistant niche.
– How to decide what services you should offer.
– 30 Virtual Assistant services you could offer.
– How to get testimonials when you’re just starting out.
– When to leave your job to be a full-time Virtual Assistant.
– How to prepare even if you’re still working full time.
Money and legal
– How to set your rates.
– How to raise your hourly rate.
– How to improve your pricing strategy and mindset.
– How to handle late-paying clients.
– Legal contracts and policies you need to have.
– Should your client sign a contract?
– GDPR and data protection (you need to comply with this stuff!)
– Do Virtual Assistants need insurance?
– What UK VAs need to know about Tax and National Insurance.
– Common VA scams and how to avoid them.
– Should Virtual Assistants display their rates on their website?
Websites and branding
– How to create a Virtual Assistant website.
– Do you need a blog and what should you write about?
– How to name your Virtual Assistant business.
– Things to consider when designing your logo.
– 6 common business card mistakes and how to avoid them.
– Should Virtual Assistants display their rates on their website?
Marketing and finding work
– The 4 best ways to find your first client.
– 25 ways to market your Virtual Assistant business.
– How to get awesome clients.
– How to write a great LinkedIn profile.
– Three LinkedIn message templates.
– Virtual Assistants reveal their first client (and how they got them).
– Virtual Assistants reveal who their last client was (and how they got them).
– 20 ways Virtual Assistants can rock Twitter.
– How to network like a VA superstar.
– How to write a Virtual Assistant elevator pitch.
– Should VAs bother with sites like Upwork?
– Associate work: your questions answered.
– The types of tasks I give my own VA.
– Time management tips for Virtual Assistants.
– How to avoid time-waster clients.
– How to manage difficult clients (and what a good one looks like).
– The biggest blunder of my VA career.
– What to do when a potential client doesn’t know what they need you for.
– How and when to fire a client.
Learn and grow
– Free (or low-cost) learning resources for Virtual Assistants.
– How Virtual Assistants track client work.
– How to share your computer screen using Skype.
– Tips for managing emails and multiple email accounts.
– This service will earn you a great income throughout your career.
– Overcome any challenge with a SWOT analysis.
– How to use Pinterest to collaborate with your clients.
– 20 ways to prepare your business for the coming year.
– How to chase invoices for your clients.
– How Virtual Assistants manage childcare.
– How to choose the right laptop.
– Can a VA just work on a Chromebook?
– Books that have helped my business and changed my life.
– My decision hack will change your life.
– How to future-proof your Virtual Assistant business.
Confidence and motivation
– The best things about being a VA.
– Answers to every worry you have.
– Say no to the naysayers!
– How to answer every naysayer you’ll ever meet – including yourself!
– Read this then just set up your business already!
– 3 incredible life-changing VA stories.
– Read interviews with new and established VAs.
– Watch short videos from new VAs.
– Why I celebrate my business birthday and you should too.
– Don’t confuse your skills with your personality.
– What story are you telling yourself about money?
– Why the pandemic is the ‘little ship’ moment for Virtual Assistants.
My life – it’s all about me!
– 20 random things you don’t know about me.
– My own Virtual Assistant story.
– What my workspaces look like.
– How I survive winter without frostbite, fractures or a massive heating bill.
– Why I just moved to a country I have never been to before.
Thinking about doing my DIY VA course?
If you’re thinking of setting up your own Virtual Assistant business then my DIY VA course is a no brainer. I walk you through the entire process and support you for the entire process.