Although much of the world is currently going through a period of economic and political uncertainty, people who work for themselves aren’t worried about this. This is because freelancers actually have more options when it comes to being in a strong financial position, having choices, and creating a successful future for themselves in times of economic instability.
Personally, I am overwhelmingly relieved to be working for myself while the political climate is this unstable. Although I mainly run the VA Handbook now, this opinion would not change in the slightest were I still working 100% as a VA.
And this is why:
- Companies and small business owners still have money, they’re just more careful where they spend it – and they will be looking to spend it more wisely.
- These companies and business owners still need work doing (in fact more than ever as they’ll be looking to get more work themselves) and are far more likely to outsource work to contractors instead of hiring an employee. Even Forbes believes freelancers will fuel the UK economy after Brexit.
- My best friend has been made redundant five times. No freelancer has ever been made redundant.
- Working for yourself means you have more options. And because you have choices you’re agile, can turn direction on a dime and have the ability to act when employees only have the option to react.
- You can get paid in any currency and work anywhere in the world. If you are a good freelancer then you will always get work.
- In fact, other demographics are even more likely to find you appealing if the exchange rate is such that they can now afford you.
When doors close, windows always open.
So my advice to you is, if you’re considering setting up your own Virtual Assistant business and becoming a freelancer then don’t put your decision on hold. Now is the time to chase that dream more than ever so can give yourself choices later.
I would actually say that it’s better to know how to be a VA even if you don’t take action and start working as one yet.
Then at least you have that option if you decide to take it.
And if you’re already a Virtual Assistant then now is a great time to see how you can add more value to your clients, to learn how to market yourself better so you know how to get new clients, and to learn valuable new skills that will expand your options even further and bring more opportunities.
There has NEVER been a better time to work for yourself, but you will always do better (at any time, in any place) if you future-proof your business and actively commit to investing in your future success.