Much of the world is currently going through a period of economic and political uncertainty, but you needn’t worry if you work for yourself. Freelancers actually have more options when it comes to being in a strong financial position, having choices and creating a successful future for themselves whatever happens to world economics.
Personally I am utterly relieved to be working for myself in times of trouble. Although I mainly run the VA Handbook now, this opinion would not change in the slightest were I still to be working 100% as a VA.
And this is why:
- People still have money in economic times of trouble, they’re just more careful where they spend it and they will spend it more wisely.
- Being a freelancer has historically always been a good decision in times of economic instability. Freelancers actually weather recessions and disturbance because they’re agile and their options widen instead of narrow.
- Those people still need work doing (in fact more than ever as they’ll be looking to get more work themselves) and are far more likely to outsource work to contractors instead of hiring employee.
- My best friend has been made redundant five times. No freelancer has ever been made redundant.
- Working for yourself means you have twice as many options. Because you have choices you can act when others only have the choice to react.
- You can get paid in any currency and work anywhere in the world. If you are a good freelancer then you will always get work.
- In fact other demographics are even more likely to find you appealing if the exchange rate is such that they can now afford you. When some doors close, windows will open.
So my advice to you is, if you’re considering freelancing then don’t put your decision on hold. Now is the time to chase that dream more than ever so can can give yourself choices later. It’s better to know how to be a VA even if you don’t take the action of working as one yet.
At least you have that option if you decide to take it.
And if you’re already a VA then now is a great time to see how you can add more value to your clients, to learn how to market yourself better so you know how to get new clients, and to learn valuable new skills that will expand your options even further and bring more opportunities.
There has NEVER been a better time to work for yourself but you will always do better (at any time, in any place) if you future-proof your business and invest in your future success.