Even though I believe WordPress is still the most professional platform for you to publish your website on, I’m fully aware that it can be a huge and boring learning curve for many people. So if you’re looking to get your VA website up and running quickly and with as little pain as possible, then Wix is a very good alternative. Here’s an overview of what features they offer and why it might be a good choice for you.
88 million people worldwide use Wix to make their websites but, as with anything to do with your business, I think it’s really important that you settle on something that works for you and what you want for your particular business.
Wix is free to use but if you require professional features like your own domain name and the ads removed (which you do!) then you’ll need to upgrade to a paid plan.
Ads look very unprofessional and you definitely want www.yourwebsitename. com instead of www.yourwebsitename.wix.com/yourwebsitename so make sure you buy a domain name and pay for hosting.
Although this should go without saying really!
Features and apps:
Wix has loads of free and paid stuff that you can add when designing your site including:
- Tons of different templates
- Custom domain names
- Free hosting
- Personalised mailboxes
- Google maps
- Click to Action so people can call you just by clicking a button on your site
- Image slideshows
- Facebook Live Messenger so people can contact you through FB messenger from your site
- Social media integration
- Shopping carts and contact forms
- Ability to add a blog and videos
- SEO features so you can help index your site with Google
- Ability to take bookings
- Animated text and images (use sparingly if at all!)
- Stock images
- Ability to add your business hours and customer reviews
(There are loads more features and apps but these were the ones I felt would be most applicable to a business website)
I wanted to give the site a quick test run so I went to see if I could replicate my own Virtual PA website. It only took me about half an hour and, although I couldn’t get the exact same layout because mine was custom designed by my Web Developer, I was actually impressed at how good it did look.
Pros of using Wix:
- It’s all drag and drop so you can just get your site up without a steep learning curve.
- It’s really flexible and you can get your website published really quickly.
- You can get your domain name, site and hosting in one place.
- They have lots of different themes and templates to choose from including ones optimised for mobile phones.
- They have lots of SEO features and are improving this aspect all the time.
- They have a ton of extra features and apps (as above) so you can make your site look exactly how you want it.
- The company is very proactive when it comes to investing in improvements.
- The pricing is reasonable because you’re paying for ease of use.
Cons of using Wix:
- Their SEO isn’t as good as WordPress but is improving all the time.
- You can SEO website pages but not the blog posts within it.
- Google still favours WordPress websites.
- I don’t think you can edit the text type on the mobile version.
- If you want to change the template then you have to re-do the whole site whereas with WordPress you can just change the theme and the content stays in place.
So if you just want a super easy website you can set up yourself in a jiffy then Wix is definitely a fantastic option.
- Click here to create your own VA website using Wix.
- Click here to read everything I’ve ever written on websites including what to write, mistakes to avoid, how to drive traffic to it and how to make sure Google finds it.
* I am an affiliate for Wix which means that if you sign up for their service then I may receive a small fee for referring you. Note that my reputation is very important to me so I only recommend products that I know will help your business and get you where you want to go.