My name is Joanne Munro and I live in Brighton (well Hove actually but I’m still in denial). I set up my own Virtual Assistant business within a week of discovering what one was, chucked in my job in June 2009 to see if I would sink or swim, and now I would say I’m pretty successful because I have an extremely satisfying career and can work from anywhere in the world.
And I set up this site to help you have one too.
We spend over half our life at work and I firmly believe that if you don’t love what you do, aren’t valued, appreciated, paid well, and professionally fulfilled, then it’s a life half wasted. So the goal of this site is to try and educate, encourage and cajole you into seeing if freelance life is for you.
There are no rules any more about how we live our lives and how we work.
As long as you get the work done and earn money, there’s no reason you can’t do what you want, when you want, where you want and for whom you want. I work like this and so do millions of other people so I see no reason why you can’t as well.
(I also used to write CVs and LinkedIn profiles as a separate business. I’m really good but it doesn’t rock my world like writing this website does so I decided to stop in January 2016. I still have the website Career Pioneers but now I just offer guides and courses instead of services)
Some other stuff about me
I’m kinda blunt
I’m a no-nonsense, straight-talking kinda gal (alright, untactful and blunt!) who sometimes has a mouth like a sailor on shore leave. I just say what I think and I like to get straight to the point without sugar-coating or pandering to egos. Let’s just say I’m not a faffer.
I hope you’ll appreciate my straightforward approach but I don’t actually know how to be any other way. I think it’s best to just tell it like I see it and I want you to be the best Virtual Assistant you can – but please forgive me if I’m sometimes overly forthright in the way I try and help you do that!
I really like helping people
I gave away a ton of free stuff on my CV website and right from the start I knew I wanted to do the same here. I’m not here to make a shed-load of money (although some would be lovely!), I simply think it’s important to share your knowledge. Especially if you think you can provide better advice than what’s already out there.
Toot-toot trumpet blows
- Jan 2017 – was interviewed on how to outsource by the 80/20 Guy.
- Dec 2016 – gave a talk on creating an income from digital products at Hubud in Bali.
- Oct 2016 – wrote a book review of ‘Travel While You Work’ for PA Life Magazine’s Book Club.
- July 2016 – gave a Lightning Talk at the Life. Time. Value Conference in Brighton on how to sell digital products.
- May 2016 – held a Hot Topic Discussion on how to deal with different client types at the Office Show in London.
- Nov 2015 – LeadPages featured the VA Handbook in their top 10 best landing pages roundup.
- Nov 2015 – AWeber featured the VA Handbook in one of its monthly roundups.
- Oct 2015 – interviewed at The Brighton Summit on how to be a Digital Nomad.
- Sept 2015 – interviewed by Free Range Humans on how to find and secure new clients.
- May 2015 – wrote a blog post for WiseStamp on how to use social media to get clients.
- Nov 2013 – gave a talk at WorthingDigital on how freelancers can find new clients.
- Mar 2013 – one of three panellists at the Wired Sussex ‘Being a Successful Freelancer’ workshop.
- Nov 2012 – gave presentation on using social media for business to the New Sussex Start Ups.