LinkedIn is a massive part of all my Virtual Assistant training. In fact it’s so integral to getting work that many of my trainees have found clients solely through their LinkedIn profile even though they haven’t even got a website yet. Every professional knows it’s essential to be on LinkedIn but having a great LinkedIn profile is just half of it – knowing how to actually use it is vital.
Why you need a great LinkedIn profile
- With over 400 million global users, LinkedIn’s sole purpose is to act as a place for people to do business.
- You can write loads more on your LinkedIn profile than you can on your CV so you can show exactly why someone might want to work with you.
- LinkedIn groups not only provide a ton of information but are full of people who would hire you, collaborate with you or recommend you.
- LinkedIn’s SEO is so good that if someone Googles you, your LinkedIn profile will come up at the top of page one before your own website.
- You can get work just by using your LinkedIn profile.
- You can’t effectively use my Guide on How to Get New Clients without a good LinkedIn profile – it’s part and parcel of the entire method.
As a Virtual Assistant you need to make sure that when someone looks at your LinkedIn profile they can clearly and quickly see what you do, who you do it for and whether you’re any good – nobody will hire you if they’re not sure why you’re valuable.
How I know LinkedIn gets you clients
1) Because it’s the only method I personally use to find, research and qualify potential clients. It works so well for me that I actually don’t need any more work. But if I did, I’d go straight back to LinkedIn and find one.
2) Because my clients are Digital Marketers and I see them using LinkedIn all day long to raise their client’s profiles and get them work.
LinkedIn is important.
How I can help you get a great LinkedIn profile
I know a ton about LinkedIn, but my main (and favourite) client, a Digital Marketer called Luan Wise (who I actually landed using the method I teach in my guide!!) knows way more about it than me. She knows it inside out and even runs private sessions and Bootcamp training day courses teaching directors and senior managers how to use the platform to boost their online profile and reputation.
I see incredible feedback emails from her trainees, so I not only know how good she is, I also benefit by seeing exactly how she leverages the platform and how I can apply this information to my own business.
I am the Padawan and she is the Jedi Master.
An active member and contributor to the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) and recently recognised by LinkedIn as one of the top five Marketers in the UK as part of their 2015 #LinkedInBestConnected social campaign, Luan uses LinkedIn to get work for her own clients (who are often huge multinationals) and really knows her stuff.
Because having a professional LinkedIn profile is such an important part of being a freelancer, building your brand, showcasing your experience and getting work, I asked Luan if she could create some LinkedIn training courses for you.
And she did!
What the LinkedIn training courses cover
What Luan doesn’t know about LinkedIn isn’t worth knowing so her courses are really comprehensive and easy to use. You work through a series of modules that take you though every step of building your profile.
Each module then ends with an assessment so you can recap, monitor your progress and move on to the next stage.
Here’s a brief outline of Luan’s LinkedIn courses:
Introduction to LinkedIn course
- LinkedIn facts and stats and key benefits
- Types of accounts
- Jargon buster (what it all means)
- Before you start editing your profile (what to turn on and off)
- Building your profile (Everything you need to do and write in every section)
- Advice on the background image and your profile photo
- How to write a compelling Headline (with examples written by yours truly)
- How to write a fantastic Summary section (with 10 example VA Summaries written by moi!)
- Skills, Endorsements and Recommendations (what to write and how to both give and get them)
- Profile, communication, account, and privacy settings (how to control what others see)
- Groups, Companies and Applications
- Activity broadcasts (what to write and who gets to see it)
- Actions from your homepage and managing updates
- PLUS a free audit of your existing LinkedIn profile, Luan’s top 10 LinkedIn tips and a year’s worth of tips
So everything really!
- Different types of groups
- The key benefits of using LinkedIn groups
- Finding and evaluating groups
- How to decide which groups to join
- Defining your goals,
- How to find and engage with group discussions
- Visibilty and contact settings
- Invitation and notification settings
- Best practice
- Advanced use
Building Your LinkedIn Network
- The etiquette of making connections
- How to define your LinkedIn connection strategy
- How to find people to connect with on LinkedIn
- How to manage LinkedIn invitation requests
- How to remove connections
- How to use Basic Search
- How to use Advanced Search
- How to use Boolean Search
- How to use Saved Search
- How to set up saved searches and receive a regular pipeline of new contacts
LinkedIn Company and Showcases pages
- What LinkedIn Company Pages and Showcase Pages are
- How to set both of them up
- How to share content on them
- How to measure your performance
How it works
Once you click to buy any of her e-learning training courses, you’ll receive a payment receipt and a confirmation email with a link to the training site and your login details. This should be done really quickly but please allow up to 24 hours as you have to be manually enrolled.
You then work through each module and assessment at your own pace. You have 6 months to complete the course, but if you haven’t finished and you’re nearing your deadline, Luan will drop you a line to remind you.
Special VA Handbook discounts:
- Use the promo code JOJOMUNRORO at checkout to receive a £10 discount on your shopping cart.
- Use the promo code VAHB-ALL at checkout to buy all 5 LinkedIn courses for just £100 instead of £160.
- Use the promo code VAHB-SMALL at checkout to buy all of the 4 smaller LinkedIn courses for £80 instead of £100.
(You can only use one code depending on how many courses you want to buy)
“I just wanted to drop you a quick email to thank you for helping this LinkedIn newbie get her profile to Expert status (just need a decent profile picture to get me to All-Star!!) I had never used LinkedIn before and after completing the course I genuinely understand how LinkedIn can help my business and how to make it happen! The course is written in a way that those new to this particular social media platform can grab it and run with it and I am excited to keep learning about further features on LinkedIn. I will definitely be looking at other courses you offer, secure in the knowledge that they can genuinely help me move onwards and upwards!” Alison Campbell
What I think
LinkedIn has been vital to the success of my business. Having a professional online portfolio is a necessity and LinkedIn is a free platform that provides everything you need to achieve maximum exposure, gain valuable contacts, build strong connections and get clients.
But you simply must have a decent profile if you’re going to use it!
So whether you stumble through the process by yourself trying to learn everything you can from various online places, or you decide to go for the courses I’ve had created for you – get yourself over to LinkedIn now and get cracking!